Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "rocKeT man"

From: bsbbs!nrc@uunet.UU.NET (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1992 01:01:39 -0800
Subject: Re: "rocKeT man"
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

ag@sics.se (Anders G|ransson) writes:

> R> I do see something positive and promising in _Candle in the Wind_
> R> but rather than disrupt the gloomy tone of this post I'll save it
> R> for later.

> There is indeed something in this recording that makes you look
> forward to the next album after the sickening one (with
> such low points as 'heads...').
> In 'Candle in the Wind' there is something of that 'here it is,
> I don't care' daring from her best effort.

Exactly!  I also felt that it showed promising touches of the
approach that Kate began talking about after TSW.  She reduced
CitW to it's basic elements and built from there to create
something much more subtle in its complexity than most cuts on
TSW.  Kate refered to it as a simplicity that art should have.

I'm not very excited about the results in this case, but I still
feel that approach would be a step in the right direction.

Interestingly, I was (as I think many here were) assuming that
CitW was a cut rushed together recently to serve as a B-side
for RM.  The latest Homeground claims, however, that the cut was
done back in '89 but set aside since the record company prefered
RM.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP