Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Amos (Kate with a Knife)

From: A Rae <asr@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1992 07:12:38 -0800
Subject: Re: Tori Amos (Kate with a Knife)
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

nbc@inf.rl.ac.UK writes:
[but it's a quote from either Q or NME I think...]
>"Occassionally she'll crack into soprano like she's about to unleash
> a full, Bush-style "Heathcliffe! It's me!". But there are also moments
> of poetic over-reaching where she sounds like Julia Fordham doing Patti
> Smith with Manilow on piano."

She does... I pinched... hehum... Borrowed the album off a friend
yesterday and I've listened to it a couple of times and there is a
distinct KaTeness to her voice, especially on the first track of side 2
("China", if I recall).

I haven't worked the words out yet (it took me a couple of months to
retune my ears so I could hear KaTe) but the bits I can hear sound
interesting lyrically.

(I seem to be selectively deaf, for some reason...)

--
Angus G Rae ("Cathy" VoiceMail) | JANET: asr@uk.ac.ed.castle
c/o Archie Howitt, Room 1508,   |  ARPA: asr@castle.ed.ac.uk