Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Politics of Dancing

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1992 18:10:02 -0800
Subject: The Politics of Dancing
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sti.com

A few comments on things that have been popping up on Lovehounds as of
late:

1)  Politics & Kate's songs I - "Heads, We're Dancing":  Personally, I
think this is Kates stupidest song lyrically.  Sounds like a lame
episode of "Tales of the Darkside".  A guy asks a woman to dance, and
it turns out he is Hitler.  What's the point?  If she's trying to say
that someone charming can be someone really evil, "Thelma & Louise"
made the same point much better in almost the exact same way.  OK,
you anal-retentives out there, I know T&L came out after TSW, but
I think my point here is valid.

2)  Politics & Kate's songs II - Breathing, one of my fave Kate songs,
is now pretty much out of date.  In fact, a lot of my favorite songs
(XTC "This World Over", Heaven 17 "Let's all make a Bomb", and several
songs by Tom Lehrer, to name but a few) have lost a lot of their
emotional punch.  While this is, overall, a good thing, aren't you just
a bit sad that we lost a great artform?

3)  Ken of the GLC is a real person?  More info, please.

4)  It's Hammer Time - While a few folks have pointed out that Hammer
is (or rather, was) a British film studio that specialized in horror
films, no one seemed to mention that they were usually those s-l-o-w
"Gothic" horror films, a lot which Elvira wound up playing and making
merciless fun of.

4a) What ever happened to Elvira, anyway?  Is she condemmed to do a
once-a-year Coors commercial?  And woundn't you love to see her do a
cameo on Mystery Science Theatre 3000?

4b) Did you know that both Kate & Elvira were vegetarians?  Somehow,
I see something significant in this little factoid.

- Stev0

"Coming SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! At Amphetemine Speedway - for one
night only - KATE BUSH!  SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!  BEEE THEEERRRREEE!"

- Ad I would like to hear on the radio

--
Steve Berlin (Stev0)   | This .Sig intentionally left blank
Stev0@sti.com          |