Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

v. to cause one to endure

From: carter@sal.lonestar.org (Carter Bennett)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1992 15:31:12 -0800
Subject: v. to cause one to endure
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Comments: Normal User Account

G'day, Folks!

Andrew Hoy of Christchurch, New Zealand said:
-- - From what I remember, "Room for the Life" seems quite feminist in tone,
-- although I'm not quite sure what to make of "This Women's Work".

It has always seemed to me that a number of KT's songs were rather
"reproductive" in tone; rather maternal in a way.  Then going through
some of the interview transcriptions and comparing what I THOUGHT the
songs were about, I figure I'm way off base and probably overdue for
deprogramming at the Institute for Anal Retentive Art Interpretation.

Richard Caldwell's signature says:

-- "Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
--                                   The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
--                                   {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
--                                   nrc@bsbbs.UUCP

Richard!  I just tried out The Big Sky BBS a couple of nights ago.
Good stuff.  Anyone who hasn't tried it should give it a ring.  Not
overdone or hokey.  Just good data, and immediate access to it.
That's really appreciated for the long distance calls!

Ray Russell on the Proletariat-Net sayeth:

-- I get more out of how KaTe sounds, rather than what it is she's saying,
not
-- that the lyrics aren't better than anyone else's.

Well, I've gotta agree with you to a point, Ray.  The thing that got me
hooked was the string arrangement on Under Ice from TNW.  Still, I
got a lot more out of her stuff after Ben Siemerink sent me Andrew's
transcriptions in The Garden.

Two questions for the Hounds:

   1.  "The Garden" is a labor of love, and I would NEVER get down on it,
       but in the lyric transcriptions, I don't always hear the same thing
       as on the transcript.  I think I've also worked out a couple of
       "[inaudible]" sections.  I was thinking about listing my conjectures
       here, but will I be opening a can of worms, beating a dead horse,
       not letting a sleeping dog lie, or just not be helping?

   2.  I am curious about how some of us relate to the outside world.
       Are any of us lone Kate fans?  Have we enlightened our colleagues?
       I work in a company of right around 100 people, and we have six
       KT fans of varying degree (need I mention who is the most severe?).
       The thing is, I was the last of us to find out about her music.
       Are many of us so isolated?  Or is Dallas, TX just that far behind
       the rest of the world?

Looking forward to the next installment,
crb

UUCP: carter@sal.lonestar.org  -or-  carter@sdf.lonestar.org
"We are of the going water, and the gone.
 We are of water in the holy land of water."

--
carter@sal.lonestar.org
TurboCit Salamandria -- (214) 238-5539