Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Social Issues in Kate's Songs

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1992 10:25:57 -0800
Subject: Re: Social Issues in Kate's Songs
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

I am not pols051@csc.canterbury.ac.nz.  I didn't say:
>- "The Dreaming" is of course about racism, but what do I make of "Heads We're
>Dancing"?

I dunno.  The Dreaming isn't really about racism, it's about profit-driven
imperialism.  (The aborigines pushed off their traditional lands by mining
companies).  Heads We're Dancing is about someone how dances with a charming
fellow who later turns out to be Hitler.  What's the connection?  I don't
see one...

>The last
>verse of "Suspended in Gaffa" may also be trying to make some sort of point
>about the position of women.

You're crazy.  Suspended In Gaffa is about the crushing disappointment
brought on by a mystical experience and the realization that it can never be
repeated (at least that's Kate's explanantion - I actually think it's about
losing your virginity.)

>Also I remember reading somewhere that "Get Out
>of My House" is a song about rape, and the same seems to apply to "Leave it
>Open" on the same album.

Leave It Open is about being afraid to drop barriers - while such a
state may have been brought on by a rape or similar violation, it is by
no means a necessary precondition.  In Kate's case, she has said the song
had to do with John Lennon's death (My door was always unlocked/Until one
day a trigger come cocking)

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
With hungered flesh obscurely, he mutely craved to adore.