Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pains The Price She Paid

From: Harry Foster <foster@convex.COM>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1991 09:09:05 -0800
Subject: Pains The Price She Paid
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@convex.com (news access account)

To me, "Candle In The Wind" was the pinnacle of Elton John.  His greatest
achievement and contribution.  His reason for existence.  KaTe has taken
the song to a new height of emotion, and pain, and suffering.  Gone are
the flashy dynamics and percussion, and gone are the stark background
vocals.  Yet what remains in its simplicity was a deep anguish and
longing which touched me.  Could she have done better ?  Is it only
B-side quality ?  I don't know.  But I've open my heart as well as
my ears, and I let KaTe fill me with emotion ...

     "Loneliness was tough.
      The toughest role you ever played.
      Hollywood created a superstar
      And pains the price you paid."     -Bernie Taupin

There are times when I think Gaffa's created a superstar.  Yet in all the
hubbub, never takes the time to listen.

She *still* is!
--
Harry Foster                                        foster@convex.com

     "A man should be greater than some of his parts." -Peter DeVries