Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@fstop.csc.ti.com
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1991 10:39:49 -0800
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: vishal@ra.csc.ti.com (Vishal Markandey)
Subject: Re: Toni/Laurie/Digests
Sender: usenet@csc.ti.com
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1991 18:39:45 GMT

In article <m0kv32T-000DmBC@chinet.chi.il.us> katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:
>Vickie here. I'm glad to see other Toni Childs fans here too. I liked
>_Union_ a lot (my favorite song is "Zimbabwe") but _House of Hope_ is
>even better, IMHO. It's very dark, very sad and very powerful lyrically,
>yet musically, it's hard to stay still while listening to it. It's not
>a dance album, more like a slither and glide album. "Daddy's Song" ranks
>as one of the most heart-wrenchingly powerful songs I've ever heard. It's
>about incest and it's not for the faint of heart. Angry...and chilling.
>"I gave you all my love...and you showed no mercy" Ohmygod. I don't know
>very much about Toni Childs, but I remember reading that she ran away
>from home at a very early age, 15 or 16, and that she's had a very rough
>life. Definitely a survivor-type, a very strong woman and extremely
>talented. I've never seen her in concert (or even a video) but I would
>like to. I envy those who have.

VH-1 used to show the video for "Don't walk away" long ago.  I think that
song is off her previous album.

I also recommend _House of Hope_, particularly the songs "Daddy's Song"
which is about incest as Vickie says above, "I've got to go now" about
spouse abuse, and "Heaven's Gate" about the dying thoughts of a mad woman.

- Vishal