Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mysterious mechanical problem with one CD

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1991 17:58:27 -0800
Subject: Mysterious mechanical problem with one CD
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: rec.music.cd, rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.llnl.gov

If anybody can tell me what might be causing the following problem,
please let me know.

I got Kate Bush's new CD single, "Rocket Man" the other day.  It played
fine in my CD player.  But when I pushed the "open/close" button to take
out the CD, the drawer jammed.  The motor whirred, but the drawer moved
only a tiny bit, and it acted like the CD had jammed against the
opening.

I took the CD player out of the rack.  I found that by lifting the back
end of the player and knocking it slightly, I could unjam the disc and
the drawer would open.  Then I did some experiments.  I tried lots of
other discs and the drawer never jammed with any of them, just as it
never had before this experience.  But with that one particular Kate Bush
CD, the drawer almost always jammed.

I tried some more experiments.  I closed the drawer with this CD and
opened it immediately, without letting the CD player have time to read
the number of tracks and the timing -- i.e. without letting the CD
start spinning.  Then, most of the time the drawer didn't jam.  But if
the CD ever did start spinning, it would jam the next time I would try
to open the drawer.

I next compared this CD with others, and I could find no major differences
in shape.  I have no measurement tools to measure this precisely, though.
The outer diameter may be slightly smaller than other CDs, and it may
be slightly thinner and lighter, judging by my subjective observations.

Again, I'd sure appreciate it if anybody could tell me what's going on.

Ed Suranyi
ed@wente.llnl.gov