Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KTrivia bit of the week

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1991 00:25:27 -0800
Subject: KTrivia bit of the week
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

My friend Chris Hunt, who is rapidly becoming a major
Kate-worshiper (amazing what happens when you show people _The
Whole Story Videos_), was browsing _Hounds of Love_ one day, and
had started up the track "Hello Earth" to discover that Kate had
borrowed from his other consuming interest, aerospace technology.
Being well-versed in aerospace terminology, he is the only
Love-Hound I know of who has put proper meaning to one of the
brief radio communications clips that are at the beginning of
that song:

"Columbia now at nine times the speed of sound."

"Roger that, Dan, I got a solid TACAN lock on, uh, TACANs two and
three."

TACAN is the TACtical Air Navigation system used by the military,
analogous to the ILS (Instrument Landing System) used in
commercial aviation.  Previously my best guess (and the best
guess reflected in Andrew Marvick's lyrics compilation) was that
the words were "tack and lock".  Chris was simply astounded to
discover that he would find a bit like that in a Kate song; we
just told him that it was proof that She Really Is.

Chris's roommate and fellow Kate-worshiper Kevin proudly showed
me his new copy of _Two Rooms_ when we met by chance the other
day.  I hope to soon hear Kate's cover of "Rocket Man" and pass
my own judgement on it.  Kevin thinks it's great.