Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Face Good. Voice Bad.

From: caen!bsbbs!cynthia@harvard.harvard.edu (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1991 20:51:00 -0800
Subject: Face Good. Voice Bad.
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Hiya.  I must say, I don't agree with the person who thought
Kate looked "old" on her cd single photos.  I thought the
photos were lovely, I thought she looked quite fetching.
Though I would like to see how she'd fare with a photographer
such as Annie Liebovitz or Diane Arbus or some such person
taking her portrait.  I imagine the results would be pretty
breathtaking.

My concern is that not only is the "sound" on the single not
so hot (sounds like she's in some huge chamber to me), but her
voice is pretty poor.  Even on The Sensual World, which most
you Love-Hounds seem to think is her least great work, her
voice (when you can hear it above the din) is strong, steady
and in tune.  Both vocal cuts on the cd single sound like a
ragged demo to me.  Maybe it's time she gave up those
cigarettes.

The instrumental is the least disappointing of the lot for me,
as there's only small amounts of vocals, and she's shored up
with harmonies for those.

I like Kate's work alot, but sorry, this cd single shows a
subpar effort.  If you can use any objectivity to judge, you'd
likely be appalled.  However, I understand we've all been
waiting a long time for any new auditory bombardment from her,
so at first, anything is welcome.  But, as blasphemous as this
will sound to the more rabid sychophants, IMHO this thing is
very drab, mediocre, and sounds amateurish.  It's a shame.

Hopefully, she'll take a cigarette sabbatical before she
completes the next album.  And maybe take more than 5 minutes
to put it together.  Sheesh.

But the photos were quite pretty.
I like a face that has some depth to it, and I think she looks
better now than when she was younger.  Though that's true for
most people who take fairly decent care of themselves.
Anyway, she didn't look old to me.  She just _sounded_ old and
tired.

Later,

Cynthia

----