Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

AminisTrivia

From: caen!bsbbs!nrc@harvard.harvard.edu (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1991 00:04:06 -0800
Subject: AminisTrivia
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Just a few miscellaneous items before I set about the gruesome
task of catching up on my posting.
---

First of all a couple of people have mentioned getting bounced
mail when trying to reach The Big Sky.   I'd hate to impede the
rapidly growing Cynthia & Melissa fan club so I'll do what I can
to look into it.  The Big Sky (bsbbs.uucp) is duly enshrined in
the appropriate UUCP maps but is not, as of yet, a member of any
official domain.  If the path that your machine uses to reach
bsbbs passes through a site that does not apply the maps to locate
sites in the .UUCP pseudo-domain then you will get a bounce back.

The default reply path for bsbbs should be "user@bsbbs.UUCP".
In the event your message to that address bounces please try the
explicit paths suggested by the default sig here on bsbbs:

 n8mer!bluemoon!bsbbs!user    or    nstar!bluemoon!bsbbs!user

If both of these addresses bounce then please send me a copy of
the bounce message (sans message body if it's for someone else) so
that I can determine where things have gone astray.  You should be
able to reach me at "nrc@cbnews.att.com".  If your system can't
reach that address then there's no hope.
---

I agree that some of the subjects currently being discussed in
gaffa would be more appropriate elsewhere.  In fact, both Melissa
and I have attempted to respond to Larry's recent remarks in email
rather than on gaffa (an effort which -- had it been successful --
would have saved a lot of wear and tear on Cynthia's eyeballs).

Unfortunately, Larry's posts insist that his reply address is
"henrik@echelon.UUCP" and echelon returns a message stating that
there is no such user.  Larry, if you could provide a valid reply
address it might improve the signal to noise ratio here.

Another problem is that the duel nature of gaffa disallows
such useful tools as directing followups to alt.flame.  Moving
threads elsewhere is often difficult and sometimes impossible.
---

Another problem with our moderation cum gateway reared it's head
again recently.  Kenneth Brownfield's "Louisville Slugger" post
was not seen by some because it appeared only in the digest and
not in the news group.  This happens from time to time for no
apparent reason so news readers beware that at any given moment
you may be missing important information...or maybe just more
ranting and raving.
---

We caught Elton John's interview with David Frost on PBS and then
again on NPR recently.  This was an extremely interesting
interview and I highly recommend that anyone interested in Elton
John check for possible reruns.  Particularly interesting were
some of the insights on John and Taupin's song writing process.
John also commented that of all their songs, the closes they'd come
to perfection were _Your Song_ and _Candle in the Wind_.  I have
high hopes that we will soon be hearing a version even closer to
perfection.
---

I'm sure that most of you are aware by now that Freddie Mercury of
Queen has died from complications due to AIDs.  It is seems now
that parts of Queen's final album, _Innuendo_, are a very poignant
farewell.   We'll miss him a lot.

In addition to an address for flower donations the estate
suggested donations to the Terrence Higgins Trust, the AIDs
charity that Kate has also supported.  Sorry, I don't have the
addresses.

Please take precautions, folks.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP