Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pop Bus/Felt/Ride/Durutti Column/Byrds

From: lawtonj@project4.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk (Kaleidoscope)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1991 10:36:43 -0800
Subject: Pop Bus/Felt/Ride/Durutti Column/Byrds
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc, rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.man.ac.uk

How shall I open this? I'm starting a small record label, at the moment based
around flexidisks, because they're cheap & fun, and I've got the money to make
them, and it's a good way of getting going. Also I write, together with a
friend, a fanzine, and here I am trying to sell it to you...

'Northern Sky' as it is called, is basically a UK independent music fanzine,
covering mostly the forgotten end of that - the groups pre-Manchester and EMF
and whatever - before things got danceable..... groups like Felt, or Bachelor
Pad, or MBX Bandits, or early Creation material, and their spiritual heirs.
As well as that there's 60s stuff like Buffalo Springfield & the Zombies,
and a piece about 'music for 3AM' such as Durutti Column, Van Morrison, Blue
Nile, and also plenty of rants about our ideas of what music & `independence'
should be about, combatting what we see as the increasing death of any real
feeling in an area of music that claims to be about things like sensitivity.
It's got something to say to anyone that likes, oh, Ride or Primal Scream,
or MBV, or the Byrds, or..... hmm.

The flexi that comes with it is a piece of fluffy enjoyable guitar pop from
the Foaming Beauties that will have you humming as you walk along the street,
and the first realease since 1989 by Greg Webster of the Razorcuts, with his
new band Saturn V, 'She's Gone'. Apparently they sound as loud and rocking
as Crazy Horse now.... they're approved by Slowdive, and Pop Bus is approved
by Vini Reilley of the Durutti Column who may be helping out with a track
soon. Although the name will probably change as someone in the US has hit on
the same word play.

I'm always on the look-out for demo tapes, etc to
Julian, 8 Fairfield Road, Caerleon, Gwent. UK.   NP6 1DQ.

Anyway, Steve Thornton was sort of collecting orders to get a load sent over to
the US in bulk, to split the postage & currency conversion, so if you're
interested send him a message at
 NETWRK@EARN.HARVARDA

It`s likely that they'll be imported by Parasol distribution once they know
roughly how many to get, so please only reply if you are seriously going to
bother following this up. The UK cost is 1 pound, so I expect you are maybe
talking 2 dollars once p&p is taken into acount. That's for two great pop
songs & a 36 page A5 beautifully layed out magazine!!

J.