Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rocket Man, Fairlights, plastic forks ...

From: caen!bsbbs!nrc@harvard.harvard.edu (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1991 11:27:11 -0800
Subject: Re: Rocket Man, Fairlights, plastic forks ...
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

rjc@cstr.edinburgh.ac.UK writes:

> I suspect you have a different image of Reggae to mine. I find the
> rhythmn combined with Kate's singing makes for quite a strong
> impression of the loneliness in the song.

I definately get a different impression from the reggae rythmn.
Of course, I'm not much of a reggae listener.  I have heard sad
reggae songs but generally the tempo seems different from this
in those cases.  For all I know that rythmn may be from an ancient
Caribbean dirge.  In any case, it doesn't work for me.

> I don't know, if you saw a quote from an actor saying they had always
> wanted to `be' Hamlet, would you assume they thaught he was a good
> thing to be or just tha they think it is a good part. That's how I
> interpreted her comment anyway.

It would still strike me as strange.  I've heard plenty of actors talk
about playing a tragic character but I've never heard one say that
they wanted to 'be' a tragic character.

Unfortunately we're at a disadvantage here because normally if this
were released on an album there would be promotional interviews where
Kate would be asked about the track.  Maybe there will be some short
interviews associated with the single release.

_Candle in the Wind_ sounds fantastic.  Thanks for the report, Scott,
and congratulations on being the first Love-Hound to "spot" this
potential classic.  I predict that some here will to have to raise
their hyperbole to a new level after their response to _Rocket Man_.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP