Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fitted (Was: Ba-Bush-Ka)

From: tjc50@ccc.amdahl.com (Terry Carroll)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1991 14:09:34 -0800
Subject: Fitted (Was: Ba-Bush-Ka)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1991Nov18.025349.24005@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> ryan@ces.cwru.EDU (Ryan McGuire) writes:
>In article <91Nov14.091304pst.437199@wiretap.Spies.COM> MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU writes:
>>
>>Actually, the funniest thing I've ever heard her say was last year (goddess,
>>that was almost exactly a year ago!) at the KonvenTion, when she was talking
>>about the song "The Sensual World" and the hell she went through with the Joyce
>>estate while writing it.  She said something like "Here I was with this music
>>and this passage, and the words just *fitted*, you know, they fitted so
>>well..."
>>
>>Fitted.  Yeah.  Is that like in the King James Bible where everything gets
>>builded and begetted and all that?  ;)
>
>    Actually my American Heritage Dictionary lists both fitted and fit as
>the past tense of fit.  Note that "fitted" even came first.

In most dictionaries (contrary to what a lot of people, including myself
up to a couple of weeks ago, expect), the first usage listed is _not_ the
"more correct", but rather, the oldest usage.  That is, "fitted" being
prior to "fit" may only indicate that "fitted" is older than "fit", which
I guess would support that "King James" theory  :-)

ObKate: IMHO, "Ken" is a boogier song than even "The Big Sky".
--
The above is my thoughts, not my employer's; Terry Carroll  408/992-2152
The above is not legal advice;               tjc50@amail.amdahl.com (preferred)