Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Alek Keshishian/Wuthering Heights

From: rtimko@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Roger M Timko)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1991 15:10:23 -0800
Subject: Alek Keshishian/Wuthering Heights
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Hi all. Marty here. I'm posting parts of two articles that tripped my
KaTe-radar while I was leafing through some old magazines at work. The
articles are from May (pre-gaffa for me), so please ignore them if they've
already been covered. The first is from May ROLLING STONE, the article,
"Madonna's Favorite Filmmaker Is One Smart Alek" is on Alek Keshishian
the director of "Truth or Dare".

	[...He (Alek) also has no trouble speaking up, as Madonna and her
staff learned. "Can you put on something less offensive than Styx?" Alex
asks the waitress, a bubbly sort with a Glaswegian accent, who is startled
at the request. "A place like this should have on some Kate Bush, low level."
	It was Kate Bush, in a sense, who helped Alek get his chance with
Madonna, but Kate Bush had not been his first diva. Cher had been Alek's
first, at Harvard. It happened in 1985, when the Hasty Pudding Club voted
her Woman of the Year. Alek, producer of the award show, drew baby-setter
duty. Cher's first words to him off the plane were "Parev, inch-bess-yes"-
"Hello, how are you", in Armenian. They got along famously.
	With Kate Bush, Alek says he made Harvard history. As a senior, he
spent $2000 producing "Wuthering Heights" as a pop opera, with music by
Bush, Billy Idol, and Madonna - the first time a theater piece had ever been
approved as a senior thesis in those hallowed groves. "He liked dance music,
and Madonna was the queen of the dance divas and had a killer personality",
a school friend says. "But she was part of his art at that point, one of the
characters in this grand design of his." While the show was in performance
at the American Repertory Theater, a reviewer called it "Robert Wilson
meets MTV." Alek says, "You couldn't buy a Kate Bush album anywhere in
greater Boston after that." .....]

So, did anyone other that Madonna see this "pop opera" ? According to
another article in May VOGUE (pg100), Keshishian says his latest project
is adapting his earlier adaption of "Wuthering Heights" for the big screen.
The ROLLING STONE article later says Irving Azoff wants to develope it also.
So, maybe we'll all get to see it someday.

Martin Timko                     "Come over here, Warren, you pussy man!"
rtimko@magnus.acs.                                    -M. Ciccone
    ohio-state.edu