Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Visit to Tower Records, & questions & comments

From: Zimri Smith <ST701790@brownvm.brown.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1991 20:00:10 -0800
Subject: A Visit to Tower Records, & questions & comments
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

After getting a root canal this morning, I popped 'round the corner
to the Tower Records in Boston.

They were sold out of Sarah McLachlan.

They were sold out of Marine Girls.

I noticed an album by a group called "Bounce the Ocean." Intrigued,
I inspected the cover, and noticed that it was produced by someone
named Steve Berlin. Is the love-hound Steve Berlin an ocean-bouncer?

Diamanda Galas CDs were only available on import, and at
$23.99 per, I wasn't in the mood to spring for it. Mistress Vickie,
is it really worth it? Which one?

I vainly searched for a single of Rocket Man, which I have only
heard once, and instantly liked *very* much.

I want to comment on the poop someone's been smearing all over
compilation disks like "Theodore". I bought Theodore on the
strength of the presence of Be Kind To My Mistakes. The real
revelation, though, was the live solo Shawn Colvin song,
"Shotgun Down the Avalanche," which was the first thing I ever
heard by her. Her album "Steady On" is, as I think I've mentioned
before, still a huge, huge favorite. Also, (as I said about
Jane Siberry, starting the whole sordid run/don't run controversy)
I would highly recommend a very rapid ambulation to your record
store for "Steady On" if you don't have it already.
 Other compilation disks like Sire's "Just Say Yes" series
have also turned up things I had never heard of and liked enough
to subsequently buy the album (and like the album); to summarize,
Compilations are good. Here endeth the lesson.

I got the Miranda Sex Garden CD "Madra". I haven't listened to it
closely yet, but it worked very well as music playing in the next
room while I was editing a paper this afternoon.

Meredith made me very happy last night, but I'm not telling how.

There's a reference to a Jane Siberry song on Everything But The
Girl's latest CD. See if you can find it.

My First Kate:

The first Kate song I heard was "Breathing," on WBCN in Boston, in

1980. I bought Never for Ever. Then a friend played Lionheart for
me. I went out and bought it and The Kick Inside at the same time.
I got the rest in order of release, with the exception of the live
EP, which I only managed to find last year. I like Lord of the Reedy
River.

- Zim Smith (ST701790@brownvm.brown.edu)