Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Death of Emotion

From: nstar!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1991 21:51:53 -0800
Subject: Re: The Death of Emotion
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

> From:	katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
> Chris here,
>
>    Hopefully, this is the last of it. I wouldn't post, except that Mr.
> Caldwell _likes_ an audience, and becomes quite sullen when forced to
> use e-mail...

In all fairness Chris, he doesn't seem to have that particular
trait (wanting an audience) any moreso than you.  Or anyone
else I've seen post in here, for that matter. I email him
every so often, and he's no more sullen than he normally is.
:-)

 Chris said:
>    By the way, thanks, although I don't truly feel I really deserve
> the honor. And, if I seem to be losing my sense of humor, chalk it up
> to an atmosphere that you have had no small part in creating.

I agree, you don't deserve the honor.  I mean, really Chris,
lighten up.  This atmpsphere is as it always was, from what
I've seen, full of people just saying what they think, new
ideas, old ideas, etc.  The atmosphere seems pretty wide open.

>    Most artists lack the distance from their own work to have any idea
> what their _fans_ want. On the whole, this is a good thing; pandering
> to fans is not the way to achieve artistic growth (it killed Elvis).

This is NOT true.  A _very reliable_ and respected periodical,
The Weekly World News, has broken the shocking story that
Elvis _is_ indeed alive, and has recently fathered a child.
See, Time and Newsweek miss the _really_ hot stories.

> P.S. Has anyone else noticed, that in order to avoid upsetting the
>     easily upsettable (dare I say "thin-skinned") folks like Richard,
>     posts tend to become so packed with qualifiers that they start
>     sounding like Congressional speeches? "Perhaps," "seems," "maybe"
>     oh, jesus....

Perhaps it Seems to you that Richard is thin skinned, but I can
respectfully confirm that I have been a friend and irritant to
him for approximately 3 years now, and the guy is just too
darned insensitive and cynical too be easily upset over hardly
anything.  Mr. Chairman, please add that to the record.....
Seriously, tho, you seem (auugh, a qualifier!)    to be a
bright person, but it  seems like you take disagreement, even
vehement disagreement as a personal affront.  You seem to be
kind of thin skinned in that way.  And gee, I really don't see
anything wrong with qualifiers.  It helps get across what
people are trying to say.  Or so it seeeeeems to me.

----
Cynthia Rosas <cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP> <{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia>
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)