Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New to the list

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1991 20:29:15 -0800
Subject: Re: New to the list
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sti.com

In article <20886@scorn.sco.COM>, jondr@sco.COM (Dances With Voles) writes:

|> If I were DOTZEK@DS0LILOG.BITNET (Karl Dotzek), I might have said:
|> >Third: DON'T BUY  *TWO ROOMS* . It's nothing but a trick of music
|> >business, to let you spend money for things you don't want. :-< Look
|> >for another way to get RocketMan, but don't support this compilation-
|> >method: every fan of ONE artist on the album will buy NINE other
|> >artists s/he would never think of putting into her/his shelf.
|>
|> Die, heathen scum!  Maybe someone out there will buy this compilation just
|> to hear Kate and get turned on to someone else.  I admit it's unlikely given
|> the roster of talent on Two Rooms (all popular artists who are quite well
|> known) but the principle holds true for other sorts of compilations.  I
|> bought a Funky Alternatives comp to get a supposedly exclusive Skinny Puppy
|> remix and heard about ten other bands worth investigating.  So, your theory
|> is wrong.
|>
|> --
|> Jon Drukman (pure acid hell)                    uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com

Jon, you not-very-bright lad.  I know *I* am not going to run out and buy
Two Rooms; I learned *MY* lesson after running out and buying "Theodore"
when it came out.  OK, I've gotten some triffic compilations in the past
(especially those wonderful Warner Brothers ones - they've had some great bands
on thier roster, for a Major Label (tm)).  And I LIKE Elton John!

Maybe I'll record a copy (for backup purposes only) from someone who was
willing to shell out the bucks; I've got better things to spend MY cash on!

-Stev0 across the Water

"I may be whiney and affecting, but I'm also annoying" - Morrisey

--
Steve Berlin (Stev0)   |  "Be kind to my .sig"  |  "...the..."
Stev0@sti.com          |          -Kate Bush    |     - William Shakespear