Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New to the list

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1991 14:06:37 -0800
Subject: Re: New to the list
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Dear all,

>Some of the text is really informative, most of it is absolutely not
>interesting (personal debates). I think it is ridiculous, when adults
>discuss banalities in the open network, so that everyone can
>read it.

What's wrong with a public shouting match?  Especially when we're Between
Albums [tm] and have nothing better to do...

>This should be turned immediately into private communication.

You're worse than Miss Manners--you don't make suggestions but rather try
to give commands to people you only vaguely know through skipping past
their posts over a 2 week period.

>In here is too much crap, I don't have the time to even skip it. :(

That's why God created the magical 'n' key, not to mention kill files and
all those other neat ways people have of skipping messages they aren't
interested in.

>To find the neat things among it takes me too long, so I consider
>leaving love hounds. Maybe some think now, this is what the guy
>should do, so we get rid of him, but I will give it a try.

Nobody in Love-Hounds wants to scare off a new reader.  We'd love to have
you stay.  That said, let me point out that we are under no obligation to
make things pleasant for you just to convince you to stay.  This is a public
forum--doesn't it strike you as selfish to try to get everybody to act a
certain way just so you won't have to unsubscribe?

>Something else: is there a possibility to understand better what's
>going on for a novice? Something like a startup file, which covers
>the main topics of interest, explains some often used abbreviations
>(like IMHO), which perhaps are only difficult for *me* as no
>native speaker of English, and also highlights important personalities:
>whois IED, whois Happy Rhodes, etc.

There's just such a posting that's made every few weeks by Jorn Barger.  It's
been posted fairly recently, so it must have been just before you subscribed.
I imagine it'll show up again fairly soon.

For now, though, IMHO is "in my humble opinion," IED is Andy Marvick (a
Love-Hound Extraordinaire) and Happy Rhodes is a talented singer-song writer
from Albany, NY who, due to a flamewar on Gaffa last Spring, has her
own mailing list with ~50 participants.

Other common abbreviations you may see around the net might include "wrt" (with
regard to) and btw (by the way).

>Third: DON'T BUY  *TWO ROOMS* . It's nothing but a trick of musi
>business, to let you spend money for things you don't want. :-< Look
>for another way to get RocketMan, but don't support this compilation-
>method: every fan of ONE artist on the album will buy NINE other
>artists s/he would never think of putting into her/his shelf.

Oh, puhlease!

First of all, the album should interest Taupin/John fans simply as new
arrangements of old favorites.

Secondly, is your musical taste really so narrow that you only like a single
artist on the compilation, or are you just randomly trying to ascribe
this trait to Love-Hounds for some other reason?

I like Elton John.  I also own stuff by The Who, Phil Collins, Kate Bush,
Bruce Hornsby, the Beach Boys, and probably a few other people appearing
on _Two Rooms_ (I don't recall all of the artists...haven't been able to
afford the album yet).  From the bits I've heard of it, Jon Bon Jovi's cover of
"Levon" is quite good, and he's a singer whose music I wouldn't
ordinarily buy.

Hoping I haven't contributed to convincing you to unsubscribe,

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |