Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love and Anger

From: martebf2@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Brian F. Marten)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1991 07:03:21 -0800
Subject: Re: Love and Anger
To: rec-music-gaffa@gatech.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

In <1991Oct27.120420.29271@sics.se> ag@sics.se (Anders G|ransson) writes:

>Kate Bush and lyrics is another matter of course. In this group
>I assume it is canonical that her lyrics is quite at par with
>her music. In my view, this is not the case. Her lyrics is
>interesting at its best, e.g. Ninth Wave, but often just tells
>some story that leaves you calm. At her worse she writes
>something like Heads were Dancing. What I really mean is that
>she seems to be living in a closed world, far from the struggles
>of the daily life. Reminds you of the "Glass" family in
>Salingers work.

>"She really isn't, isn't she"
>--
>_____

I don't think you can just take this approach to her lyrics.
They are like a Coan (sp?).
I personally, having been posessed of a wierd life, find that her lyrics
are meaningful well before I get to the actual literal meaning of the words
themselves.  Maybe she should not include the lyrics with the albumns.
In this way people would not be so quick to make a value assessment.
This is the meaning of poetry or more specifically the problem that lies
therein.  For some people certain things mean more than others for others.

ttfn,
brian.
--
marten@en.ecn martebf2@sage.cc martebf3@expert.cc  (+ .purdue.edu)
Brian F. Marten  (that's M A R T *E* N)  fur not feathers.