Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate reference on Mystery Science Theater 3000!

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1991 20:15:00 -0700
Subject: Kate reference on Mystery Science Theater 3000!
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie and Chris here. We're brushing ourselves off after rolling on the
floor. Did anyone else in America see Mystery Science Theater 3000?
They just mentioned Kate Bush.

   For those who my not be familiar with it, MST3K is (IOHO) the funniest
show on TV. An average guy, Joel Robinson worked at the Gizmonic Institute.
His evil scientist bosses decided to shoot him into space and observe the
effects of a steady diet of terrible movies on his mind. Stuck on "The
Satellite of Love" he builts robots to keep him company, Tom Servo, Crow,
Gypsy and Cam-bot.

   So this week the Evil Scientists showed him a Roger Corman film called
"The Saga of the Viking Women and their Voyage to the Waters of the Great
Sea Serpent". As usual Joel, Crow and Tom Servo appeared in silhouette at
the bottom of the screen making wise cracks, making new words the the music,
etc. The comments range from dumb groaners to sheer brilliance, with many
references to other films, music and comedy bits. It's hard to describe.

   Well, this particular bad film had a group of blonde Viking Women standing
and throwing spears at a tree to vote on going out to find what happened
to the ship that all their men sailed  off in so long ago. Well, the only
dark-haired women stepped forward to throw her spear to cast the deciding
vote, and Crow said "Look, it's Kate Bush!" and Joel said "Mm-m-m, Hounds
of Love." We didn't hear any other references for the rest of the film.
Good too, because she turned out to be one of the bad guys. :-)

   Talk about finding Kate in strange places! This one is even odder than
the nice bit about her in the second-rate men's mag "Genesis". Even more
surprising than the Playboy Playmate-of-the-Month who listed Kate as one
of her favorite artists. Even more unexpected than her being listed in
Saturday Review's "Most Underrated Artists" list.

We're going to write them and give 'em a thanks! Someone on the staff is
obviously a fan....

Vickie'n'Chris
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us