Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Virginia Astley

From: vickie@chinet.chi.il.us (Vickie Ann Mapes)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1991 02:50:00 -0700
Subject: Virginia Astley
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here.

Greg Blouch met a nice stranger:

> In the constant search for anything remotely similar in style or
> quality as Kate, a man (whom I've never seen again) suggested
> Virginia Astley.  Anyone ever heard of her?  He mentioned
> Pete Townsend in the same sentence (wife? relative?).  I was
> late for an exam so I wasn't able to stick around and chat with
> him.  Thanks for any info.

We've been Virginia Astley fans for a few years. Chris bought an import
copy of her vinyl LP _Hope In A Darkened Heart_ in 1987, a year after it
had been released in England. I don't think it was released in America
until 1988, and that's when we got the CD. There are no bonus tracks on
the CD. Our LP is German and was released by WEA and the CD is on Geffen
Records (which was then part of WEA, now is part of MCA, I believe)
The artwork is the same. There are no liner notes with the LP, there are
with the CD, but neither has a lyric sheet (Damn! :-( ) or a bio.

This album was produced by Ryuichi Sakamoto (who, among many other things,
used to be part of Yellow Magic Orchestra and who co-won an Academy Award for
his and David Byrne's soundtrack to the film _The Last Emporor_) except
for one song which was produced by Virginia, one produced by her brother
Jon Astley and one produced by Richard J. Burgess.

Virginia writes all her own music.

Hope In A Darkened Heart-1986

1. Some Small Hope (a duet with David Sylvian)
2. A Father
3. So Like Dorian
4. I'm Sorry
5. Tree Top Club
6. Charm
7. Love's A Lonely Place To Be
8. A Summer Long Since Passed (song Virginia produced, still my favorite)
9. Darkness Has Reached Its End

Since then, we've picked up a few more things. Bob Davis (who turned me
on to Happy Rhodes, Diamanda Galas and Anne Pigalle in 1988) sent us a
copy of her 1st LP, called _Promise Nothing_, which I've never seen on CD,
though it probably exists as an import. The LP we have is on the Belgium
label Les Disques du Crepuscule and was released in 1983.

Promise Nothing-1983

1. We Will Meet Them Again
2. Arctic Death
3. Angel Crying
4. Sanctus
5. Love's A Lonely Place To Be
6. Soaring
7. Futility
8. A Summer Long Since Passed
9. It's Too Hot To Sleep

Note: "Love's A Lonely Place To Be" and "A Summer Long Since Passed" were
re-worked and re-recorded for the album _Hope In A Darkened Heart_.
"Summer" on Heart is much more lush and richer than this version. I like
them both though. (Interlude...I love to play the Heart version of "Summer"
back to back with either the vocal or instrumental version of "The Sensual
World" because they both use the same chruch bells. Summer ends with the
bells and while they're still going I fade up TSW's bells. It's great!)

He also sent an English 12" from 1985 on Electra (WEA), an extended
mix of a song called "Tender" plus 3 other songs, none of which are
on either LP I have, so there must be (maybe) a missing album around this
time. The extra songs are "Mindless Days" "Tender" (Instrumental version)
and "A Long Time Ago." I assume that "Tender" is an extended mix, because
it's 6.02 minutes on the 12" but maybe the "album" version is that long too.

The other 12" I have I found in a used record store for 99 cents. It's
English and is the album version of "Some Small Hope" with David Sylvian.
The b-side is the Heart album version of "A Summer Long Since Passed" and
the rarity is an instrumental version of "So Like Dorian" which is nice.

The most recent thing she's done (that I know of) is contributing a song
("Second Chance" which she wrote) to the Dave "Eurythmics" Stewart film
soundtrack to _Lily Was Here_. Here he goes by the name David A. Stewart.
What I have is an American copy, on Arista Records. I love this album!
It's very fine background music, with intelligence worthy of paying
attention to, if you so desire. It doesn't really have the "feel" of a
soundtrack album, though most of the pieces are instrumental. This album
has been getting some attention due to the presence of Candy Dulfer, jazz
saxaphonist. My favorite songs are Virginia's (it's absolutely melt-your-
heart beautiful) and a new version of "Here Comes The Rain Again" sung by
Annie Lennox that I like better than the original, which I liked a lot too!

It's not easy describing Virginia's music. The best I can do is call it
very lush and ethereal, but not new-agey at all. Virginia's voice may or
may not take getting used-to. Many have said that her almost little girl
breathiness drives them insane, but I really love her voice. It fits the
music and her charming sing-song way of singing is beautiful, IMHO.

The new song "Second Chance" finds her in new voice. It's still high, but
not as little-girlish. This term "little-girlish" may be misleading, but
I don't know how else to describe it. It's not an immature, or cutesy
sounding voice, just simple and sweet, in the nicest possible way (again,
IMHO).

She's much different than her brother Jon. She's what I would classify
(if I had to) as "ethereal pop" but not like any other pop you'd hear on
the radio. Though, if Enya can get a hit with a song like "Orinoco Flow"
then I don't see why Virginia is still as obscure as she is.

I thought Rick Astley was her brother too, but that was called into
question the last time a Virgina Astley thread happened in gaffa.

Her father is a fairly well-known composer too. IED knows about him, and
I forgot the details. He's known for film soundtracks.

I'm sure (I hope) someone else will answer the Pete Townsend connection.
I forget.

She is from England, btw.

Well, a simple "yes, I've heard of her" and "yes, I like her" has turned
into a bit more than I intended, but I hope the information is of use.

She is *definitely* not for everybody, but I think she's wonderful, and
I do hope she comes out with a new album soom.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

ps, Brian, I think I forgot to tell you about her. Sorry.