Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Rocket Man" crashed in my lap

From: kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu (Angelos Kyrlidis)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1991 19:54:35 -0700
Subject: Re: "Rocket Man" crashed in my lap
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)

In article <91Oct23.190227pdt.436503@wiretap.Spies.COM> MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU writes:
>Hi!
>Reggae.  *REGGAE?!?!?*  I'm sorry, but when I envisioned KaTe convering this
>song, which has always been one of my Elton John favorites I thought
>prime opportunity for one of those "Kate Bush-y" songs, d.h. in woj-speak
>all warm inside and shivers down the back (or something like that :).  Nope.

Here we go again. Now, Meredith, was the Dreaming something you 'expected'
right after NfE, or TSW something you 'expected' after HoL? And what is
a KaTe-Bush-y song anyway? Sorry, but IMHO when you 'expect' something
from an artist half of the fun of listening to the music is gone. Creativity
is about doing things differently, and that's what separates mediocre artists
from GREAT artists. The day I hear a KaTe Bush-y song is the day KaTe will
have ran out of ideas and will be rehashing her left-overs for her 'loyal'
fans. Risk is what creativity is all about. This is what makes Peter Gabriel
David Bowie, Prince, Happy Rhodes (Warpaint could have been Ecto -revisited)
and KaTe and others stand above the masses of commercial crap that is the
normal, expected, trivial... Risks taken can turn out to be either brilliant
moves or total flops or standard. Dismissing somethinmg because it's
unexpected is not good. Dismissing it because you think it's crap is OK :-)

>DISCLAIMER: this is only my *very first impression*!!!
OK, you 're forgiven.

>for lunch next week.  I guess I was expecting a stark piano instrumental
>and blasting, haunting vocals, especially on the phrase "rocket man"- no,
>I know that's what I was expecting- and the, well, reservedness just came
>across as a totally missed opportunity from KaTe's end of things.

See what I meant above???

Angelos
|'My ears have parasites'-hApPy RhOdEs|