Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.324

From: Dances With Voles <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1991 10:52:21 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.324
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

Yo! ST701790@brownvm.brown.EDU (Zimri Smith) raps:
>J. Fingerle expressed an interest in exploring some new musical frontiers.
>
>In no particular order, here's some of what I've been listening to (other
>than Kate, of course) recently:

Can anyone play this game?  Here's what I brought in to work today:

Female vocals:
1) Braindead Sound Machine - I'm In Jail
2) Sussan Deihim/Richard Horowitz - Desert Equations: Azax Attra
3) The Telling - Blue Solitaire

1 is interesting funk, almost tackhead-esque, but not quite as heavy.  The
woman has a surprisingly pretty voice, you wouldn't think it would work with
this funk, but it does.  2 is an incredible mix of ethnic percussion,
Fairlight and other electronics, flutes and Ms Deihim, who has a vocal range
to rival Diamanda Galas.  My favorite album of the year (even if it did come
out in 1988).  3 is sort of vapid pretty synthy work with unremarkable folky
vox - not gritty enough for me, although I bet it would give Vickie serious
orgasms.  It was loaned to me by an office-mate.

Male vocals:
1) Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91: The Enemy Strikes Black
2) Son Of Bazerk - Bazerk Bazerk Bazerk
3) Meat Beat Manifesto - Now
4) The Shamen - Phorward
5) Pig - Praise The Lard
6) Primal Scream - Higher Than The Sun
7) KFMDM - Naive

1 and 2 are rap, with 2 seriously kicking butt.  3 is very dub-oriented, and
totally great.  4 is acid house.  5 is very Foetus-esque and quite good.  6
gets my nod as single of the year so far, totally trippy song, absolutely
great.  7 is sort of guitar rock with a heavy beat, very good.

No vocals:
1) Muslimgauze - United States Of Islam
2) Delerium - Syrophenikan
3) Michael Nyman - The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover soundtrack

1 is all middle eastern percussion - no music, just drums with the
occasional snippet of a muezzin wail or a synth drone - absolutely
wonderful.  2 is mostly electronic music, very very dark and atmospheric,
with lots of fiddly percussive whaps and incredible reverb - completely
great.  3 is not quite as good as I remembered from the movie, but it is
interesting to hear Nyman's work in this context (he arranged the strings
for the completely unmemorable "Reaching Out") - some haunting melodies and
vocal work on here.

Hope this sparks someone's interest (yeah, right...)

--
Jon Drukman (pure acid hell)                    uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
With hungered flesh obscurely, he mutely craved to adore.