Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: sTuff

From: Christopher Tate <CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1991 10:34:52 -0700
Subject: Re: sTuff
To: REC-MUSIC-GAFFA@gatech.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <91Oct17.053256pdt.436455@wiretap.Spies.COM>,
REWOICC%ERENJ@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU (your tragic beauty) says:

>Vickie sez:
>>But, there are no lyrics in Cocteau Twins songs.
>
>bzzzt. some of the early songs on _garlands_ do have lyrics. also, the
>songs on _heaven or las vegas_, while obscure, seem to have words as
>well.

For example, in the song "Iceblink luck," the words "You're the march of
Jericho that will burn this whole madhouse down" are pretty clearly
understandable, especially if you're listening to the CD through a good
set of headphones.  :-)

I'd heard before that much of their music doesn't have actual lyrics,
only syllables put together in euphonic ways.  This sounds reasonable;
at least, I haven't been able to understand much in the way of English
words in their recordings.

On the other hand, though, some of their songs sound suspiciously like
singing in another language -- perhaps French (which I don't speak :-),
perhaps something else....  Who knows?

-------
Christopher Tate                   | "Begin at the beginning," the King said,
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               |  gravely, "and go on till you come to
 ..!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105    |  the end: then stop."
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                |      -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland