Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sTuff

From: your tragic beauty <REWOICC%ERENJ@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1991 05:21:04 -0700
Subject: sTuff
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

meredith tarr sez:
>I had the pleasure of seeing Laurie Anderson live last year in Munich.

and i have the pleasure of being excessively envious. i've only seen her
once, trapped as i was in the northern reaches of upstate new york without
a car for four years. i caught the show at the flynn theatre in burling-
ton, vermont during the 1989 strange angels tour (which, annoyingly, was
not the same show as _empty places_). still, it was quite enjoyable, esp-
ecially for a first viewing of her live performances. i particularly liked
the stripped down aspect of her performances - "ramon" and "hiawatha" were
stunning with one synth, one voice and one drum machine. and of course,
the violin solo at the beginning of the show still sends shivers up and
down the spine even now.

meredith continues regarding "love and anger":
>and any suggestions
>as to what the %$@#& she mutters at the very end would be greatly appreciated.

i still think she says, "let's call it jersey". but that just may be a
personal bias...

Judi McKernan posits:
>   Someone recently asked what IED stood for. While I don't think anyone
>really knows for sure, someone once offered me a rumour that it was
>taken from an abbreviation for "In Excelsis Deo". Could be....?

if andy were around and posting, you'd see that his userid is ied0dxm
(or something very close to that). the "ied" had its origins there. any
further meaning is only accrued to it by the posting audience (betcha
someone can draw parallels between this and "suspended in gaffa"?)

berton wong sez:
>Brent Bambury is the host of Brave New Waves, a CBC radioshow.
>IMHO Brave New Waves is the best radioshow on the air (locally at least).

agreed there. as i mentioned, i used to live in the frozen wilds of
northern new york, nigh to the saint lawrence river. cbc radio was a
staple in the late evenings. that is one of the things i do miss now
that i'm living here in new jersey (for those of you in the philadelphia
area, brave new waves is carried on wxpn 88.5 fm - check it out).

(regarding the laurie anderson interview)
>I heard this interview live back in 1989.
>I don't have a tape of this and I only have a vague recollection off it...

there are a number of interesting tidbits mentioned as well. for instance,
the inspiration for "ramon" came from watching people in the hospital that
she was in after falling into a manhole (it's a song about helping people
basically). there is also the tidbit about working at a fish hatchery in
new mexico.

i particularly like laurie's speaking voice - she minces words with a
delicacy that you somehow wouldn't expect after listening to her music.

>What makes this a even bigger coincidence is that Brent did a profile of
>KaTe on the same show !!!

yeah - i missed this show actually. credit to tippi chai for kindly
sending me a copy. the KaTe profile is not on the tape, but if it was
anything like the other aartist profiles that brambury does, it was
just 45 minutes of song, interspersed with quotes from the artist, read
by brambury.

Vickie sez:
>But, there are no lyrics in Cocteau Twins songs.

bzzzt. some of the early songs on _garlands_ do have lyrics. also, the
songs on _heaven or las vegas_, while obscure, seem to have words as
well.

i've heard some interesting theories about what liz does with her voice.
the most humorous was the "she's preaching revolution to the dolphins!"
post that someone made to alt.conspiracy a few months back.

my personal pet theory is that she takes actual words and then changes
where the syllables are, making new words.

or of course, the old stand-bys: she is experimenting with the voice as
an instrument or she is singing pure emotion (but that's not a popular
view to have around here these days it seems).

Jeffrey C. Burka sez:
>The quintessential Cocteau Twins CD depends on who you ask.

_victorialand_ hands down. sure, _treasure_ captures them at their most
eclectic and interesting stage, but _victorialand_ is a work of art.
robin guthrie turns off the guitar effects, liz hones the voice and the
result is magic.

>Lush, on the other
>hand, has only released one album so far, though they've put out lots of
>EPs (in fact, isn't _Gala_ a compilation of 3 EPs?)

yup. _gala_ compiles the first three eps, "scar", "mad love" and "sweet-
ness and light" into one full length lp, with the addition of the goofy
cover of abba's "hey hey helen" (that is actually pretty good).

a fourth ep is out now. i've forgotten the title and i don't have it yet,
but rumor says that it is another cocteau twins-ish release, due primarily
to the production by robin guthrie. look for a new lp also next spring.

woj@remus.rutgers.edu - rewoicc@erenj.bitnet - i swear i never had a gun