Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sarah/Kirsty/Laurie

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1991 00:59:00 -0700
Subject: Sarah/Kirsty/Laurie
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Jeffrey Lester asks:

> Is that a glitch or "Sarah McLachlan"? I didn't know she had any videos.
> More than one? Commercially available? What songs? "Vox" no doubt.

Yes, it's Sarah McLachlan. No, it isn't "Vox" and it isn't commercially
available, as far as I know. It's "Steaming" and we taped it off of
Much Music a long time ago. It's the only video we have by her.

It's subtly odd, subtly weird and subtly creepy. Sarah is dressed to the
nines, on stage in a bar. She's playing a character, a nightclub singer
would be more accurate, I suppose. She's carressing a vintage 1950s
microphone with a band behind her. The video focuses on various patrons
of the bar, never leaving the bar. These people look like characters from
a Community Theater production of _Blue Velvet_. That's not to imply that
the video is cheezy-looking. It's very lush, with great lighting and deep,
dramatic colors. I just mean that the patrons of the bar are sleezyish.
Nothing much happens, but it's weird while it's not happening.

Berton, I'm looking forward to your post about Sarah's problems with
Arista. btw, "Black" is my favorite song from _Solace_.

-----------------------

re: Kirsty MacColl
I very much like _Electric Ladyland_ but I think I like _Kite_ better.

-----------------------

I am a Laurie Anderson fan too. The discussion here has been interesting.
A personal (IMHO) nit-pick/observation: I used to hate the scenes in
Home of the Brave where everyone has those pressure masks on. I thought
it was appalling that anyone would use such a serious thing for something
as frivolous as a performance art piece. I've since come to terms with it,
but I always still cringe whenever I see them in the video. I used to
wonder how a burned person, who _had_ to wear one of them, would feel
if they saw the masks used for fun like that.

Vickie
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us