Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 18:11:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Boris writes:

>So, there is a Laurie Anderson fan here. I was wondering why
>no one ever discussed her. (since I remember something about gaffa
>being for discussion of KaTe and other alternative or related
>artists, esp. female) Oh well, maybe I missed the last thread.
>What do you think about her Strange Angel's album. I personally
>liked it a lot, though, I know lots who think she's "changed."
>(sound familiar?)

Laurie Anderson comes up every now and then, but there isn't an awful lot
of discussion about her.  Maybe she's just too weird--people just kind of
stare at their keyboard and wonder what they can say that will sound
vaguely intelligent.

Her material can be very disconcerting; much of it exudes a weird sort of
intelligence that defies explanation.  I think _Big Science_ is an
absolutely brilliant album; it made it onto my DID list a few months
ago when that was all the rage.  I can listen to it over and over again.
But I still don't have the slightest idea of what most of the songs *mean*.
Some are quite obvious, others are just completely bizarre.  It's very
rare for me to discuss Anderson's material with other friends of mine who
are fans (and I know quite a few).  We just kinda say "wow" and talk in
those weird clipped sentences and agree that it's great stuff.

Right now, I own _Big Science_ and _Strange Angels_.  I've heard _Mister
Heartbreak_ and _Home of the Brave_, and expect to own them eventually.

I also know a fair number of people who were disappointed with _Strange
Angels_, thinking she'd "changed."  Damn!  Laurie got too melodic!  Or
something like that.  I think it's a fantastic album, combining her
incredibly lyrics with what turns out to be a beautiful voice when not
obstructed by the various vocoders and other toys she likes to play with.
To me, the title track is *beautiful*.  The Laurie Anderson people expect,
though, is still there...just listen to a track like "The Dream Before,"
with that wonderful Hansel and Gretel conversation.  "Gretel, you can really
be a bitch."

>I saw a box set of hers of her live performances. Know if it is
>really good? Looks real old. I think I remember seeing one
>when I was 14ish.

This is _United States Live, I-IV_.  You might have noticed that the subtitle
of _Big Science_ is "Songs from United States I-IV."  The 4-record/tape/cd
set is the full thing.  It came out years ago, but was recently (last spring)
released on CD.  I've been craving it ever since then, but haven't bought it
yet.  (In fact, I even had a dream about buying it one night!  Very weird;
I've never dreamed about buying anything by KaTe or anyone else for that
matter!)

>"I think they should put some mountains here. Otherwise, what are
>the characters going to fall off of?"

And what about stairs?

A few weeks ago, I was riding the subway home from work.  The train was
*very* crowded that night, and just before the doors shut before leaving
a station, one last man managed to get in.  He stepped in, looked around,
and said, "This must be the place" with the "proper" rhythm and stresses.
I thought it was hysterical!

Jeff
 --
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |