Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lots of stuff about Emotion and Cynicism

From: The Man With The Vole In His Trousers <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 12:54:21 -0700
Subject: Lots of stuff about Emotion and Cynicism
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Sender: jondr@sco.COM

Vickie sez:
>OK, here it is. We just got the new Prince album and the....sound...omygod!
>Crisp and clear and a delight to the ear.
>I haven't even listened to TSW and I *know* now what other people have been
>saying. I haven't even listened to it and a vague muddy/muddled/hissy sound
>leaps to the forefront of my memory.

Quoth the Tamarian:
Vickie, her eyes opened!  (apologies to non-startrek-watching lovehounds)

>Yeah Jorn, I know what you mean. I have decided to quit writing about
>how much I love Kate. Why pour your heart out when it will just get
>dumped on? Stick to facts and figures (though those have been attacked
>recently too) questions and comments, news and information. It's very
>fashionable to be cynical and anti-hero nowadays I guess. How sad.
>Some people mistake genuine affection and admiration for "slobbering."

You really miss the point, Vickie.  I remember when you and your other half
first appeared, Chris decried my venomous tone as hurting Katefans who were
really all gentle, shy and retiring types.  I think the forces of sweetness
and light have actually been doing more harm in causing shy and retiring
types with critical thoughts to shrink away from posting.  While I still
have an ounce of strength in my fingers, I will fight to allow the most
unpopular and nasty messages to be posted!  A mutual admiration society is
the most boring thing in the world.  We all know Kate is great and swell.
There's no need to constantly reiterate it.  The dark side is what never
gets probed (hence it being the DARK side... no light shines upon it).
Someone has to dare to question, to criticize.  You don't have to, but leave
the rest of us to say what we want.  Unless we're factually erroneous or
just plain offensive without saying anything, we deserve our airtime.  I
still get plenty of email saying things like, "thanks for saying what I
didn't have the guts to."

>The last time *I* posted something from
>the heart I got scalded by Larry Spence. The last few times I posted
>something from the heart I got scalded from other people. Why? If I make
>a factual error, by all means, flame away. But if it concerns *my* emotions,
>what business is it of *anyone* to tell me I'm wrong? If no one wants to
>hear my emotions speaking, they can skip over what I say.

First, this is a public forum, and anything you say is displayed for the
entire world to do with as they like.  You have to accept this basic fact.
If you don't like it, you are free to start your own mailing list and
moderate it according to your own lights.  This is the ultimate form of
democracy - one person, one voice.  If you don't want to hear other people
ripping you to shreds, you can skip over what they say.  Sound familiar?

>Gaffa is supposed to be a place
>where all points of views can be heard and lots of different subjects
>covered. Aren't emotional writings part of that? I guess not. Cynthia,
>Richard Caldwell, Jon Drukman, Larry Spence and others don't think so.

Gotta watch your fingers, Vick - to say a demon's name is to summon it!  I
dunno what you're talking about.  Gaffa *is* populated by differing points
of views and different subjects.  What's the problem?  Nobody has told you
to stop posting your "emotional writings."  You just have to expect that
we're going to continue to pick them apart and ridicule you for being
incapable of critical thought, led around by your heart rather than your
brain.  If you don't want that happening, don't post.  Or don't read the