Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Death of Emotion

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1991 14:27:23 -0700
Subject: The Death of Emotion
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

I have to agree with Vickie that I don't particularly like seeing
people tear into someone for expressing an emotional opinion.
But I also have to agree with Richard that if one posts an
opinion, one must also be prepared to cope with critical

However, I can well understand why Jorn would be offended by
Cynthia Rosas's response to his "Catherine" post, in which she
wrote:

>As for the Kate/Catherine thing, the  whole "Catherine"
>supposition is darn near too presumptuous, and not to mention
>sycophantic, to even believe an adult could come up with it.
>It sounds like the musings of an adolescent who's idol didn't
>do as well as he/she had hoped, so he/she rationalizes the
>idol's performance with some ridiculous hyperbole.  I mean,
>come on, at least deal in _reality_, huh?  I damn near busted
>an eyesocket from rolling 'em so hard on that one!  Well,
>everybody's got an opinion, and that was mine.

This is the sort of thing that I think Vickie can rightly be
annoyed by, and which Richard can't rightly defend, for it goes
beyond rational criticism of Jorn's proposal, to imply that he is
sycophantic and childish.  Richard's "The Sensual Suspension in
Gaffa" post, however much it might have said things distasteful
to some love-hounds, presented its ideas without belittling
others.  Cynthia's post, however, is the sort of thing that kills
rational discussion since few people are egoless enough to just
sit around and take that kind of abuse.

If you present your ideas in this forum, then you are likely to
have them criticized.  But when criticizing an idea, don't
attack the person who presented it.

Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the
classic, easily recognized behavior known as walking."