Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

_The Whole Story_ videos

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 11:15:34 -0700
Subject: _The Whole Story_ videos
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

I recently got _The Whole Story_ video collection, and I can
agree with Steve Berlin's and David Koehler's sentiments about
the evolution of Kate's videos.

"Wuthering Heights":  For a Keef video, this one isn't too
embarrassing.  The choreography saves this one.

"Cloudbusting":  A masterpiece.  This was the first Kate Bush
video I ever saw, and the first exposure to her music.  It's been
so long ago for me that I can no longer guess what appealed to
that younger self who had never heard of Kate before.  My
feelings about it now can only be distantly related to what I
felt that first time I saw it, but it speaks well for its power
and presentation that seeing it only _once or twice_ KonverTed
me.  Still my favorite Kate video.

"The Man with the Child in His Eyes":  Ugh.  This video does
nothing to help the song, unless you are hormone-crazed enough
that you want to stare at close-ups of Kate in bad lighting and
bad makeup.

"Breathing":  A Keef video that manages to be creative.  Man, that
plastic suit must have been uncomfortable.  How did they keep the
bubble inflated?

"Wow":  I've already seen Live at Hammersmith, dammit.  However,
it does make a certain ironic statement, with Kate singing "We're
all alone on the stage tonight" while showing her on stage.

"Hounds of Love":  Boy oh boy oh boy.  The images in this video
go with the song, but I never would have imagined these images
myself.  The way Kate changes from nerd-girl to frightened
hostage to coy smiling tango-woman is just amazing.  I caught the
Hitchcock walk-through, but now I need to find those old posts on
all the other trivia.  Still can't figure out when the handcuffs
come off during the party.

"Running up That Hill": My favorite Kate video used to be the
"Hammer Horror" sequence from _LaH_ (I want a Kate gargoyle! What
a tongue) but this surpasses it.

"Army Dreamers":  Cinematic Keef videos aren't as embarrassing.

"Sat in Your Lap":  Lunatic, but almost too weird.  Or maybe not
weird enough.  The dancing doesn't quite seem frenetic enough to
match my vision of the song.

"Experiment IV":  Like all _HoL_-era videos, this is another work
of genius.  I wish the album version of the song had that
poignant violin bridge.  A chilling miniature horror film.  If,
god forbid, Kate ever decided to drop music she could probably do
well directing feature-length horror films.

"The Dreaming":  The studio-set look of this video dilutes its
impact.  However, no matter what this would be a hard video to
do; this song is just too surreal.

"Babooshka":  I really kind of like this one.  The choreography
is interesting if not very active and the warrior-goddess costume
and persona are, umm, let's just say riveting.  The friend I
showed this to kept saying, awestruck, "I could never have
imagined!"

"The Big Sky":  Much more conventional than the other _HoL_-era
videos, but definitely the sort of fun-filled romp the song
inspires.

Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the
classic, easily recognized behavior known as walking."