Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Siouxsie's "Superstition", was: What is it with this group?!?

From: franz!sparky!jdi@uunet.uu.net (John D. Irwin)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1991 22:15:14 -0700
Subject: Siouxsie's "Superstition", was: What is it with this group?!?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: franz!news@uunet.uu.net

In article <600@devnull.mpd.tandem.com> dwelch@devnull.mpd.tandem.COM (Dan Welch) writes:
>In article <1991Sep2.014152.19474@news.iastate.edu> tabn3@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>>    You have to listen to both albums to be able to notice.  _Peepshow_
>>definitely has a more haunting mood to it(with, maybe, the exception of
>>"Peek-a-boo", but even that doesn't really have a pop beat).  The only
>>songs on _Superstition_ that I thought even barely resembled most of the
>>songs on _Peepshow_ was "Drifter" and "The Ghost In You". Believe me,
>>there's absolutely nothing like "Rawhead and Bloodybones" on _Superstition_.
>>:)  But don't get me wrong.  There's nothing wrong with this; it's just
>>quite a style change compared to _Peepshow_.
>
>I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I was a little disappointed, personally,
>with _Superstition_ because I had such high hopes after _Peepshow_, which
>IMHO is Siouxsie's best album and one of my very favorites (though the song
>I really love, and which seems to get passed over a lot, is "Carousel"...

And now for something completely different.

Having nearly every album Siouxsie has put out, IMNSHO "Superstition" is
her best since "Tinderbox".  (Actually, I do like the Creatures albums, but
I'll constrain myself to the Banshees at the moment).

I agree that Peepshow was a good album.  I guess personally I just don't
judge an album as much by its total content as by the 'magic' songs on it.
You know, those songs you just want to hit the 'endless repeat' button for!
"Fear", and especially "The Ghost in You" are magic songs for me.  Somehow
something in them just touches me.

Peepshow had more music, and more "ok" songs.  But other than "Carousel"
I just don't listen to it much anymore.  (I'll let you know in two years
if I still listen to "The Ghost In You".  :-)

	-- John

PS: Long time no speak for me.  Hi!