Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Big Sky

From: <sjudge@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1991 08:24:38 -0700
Subject: Big Sky
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

You can add me to that Big List, too!  The thing that I love so much about the
song is the "strong individual" theme.  I don't know what the CLOUDBUSTING
compendium says (in Kate's own words), but I have always felt the song was
powerful in that it was a woman who was packing her bags "walking out" in the
Big Sky from a man who had treated her like crap.  The way she is sitting
there talking about clouds, and then...out of nowhere says "You never understood
me...you never really tried."  WOW!   That blew me away when I first heard it!
The other thing that makes me interpret the song as a "woman who's had enough"
is the "Tell him, sisters!" line.  Female power!

Another song that has this subtext idea that I think of to compare is Up All
Night by Talking Heads, where he is talking about the baby sleeping...and
then, out of nowhere...he says "I know you want to leave me."  Which makes
the Up All Night title mean something different.  I love songs like this!
Kate....marry me.