Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Makes "Wedding List" look like a fairy story...

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1991 13:57:00 -0700
Subject: Makes "Wedding List" look like a fairy story...
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Stev0 suggests this for a *wedding*:

> A note to Carol Jean Swanson:

> A few suggestions:
> Specials AKA - "The Boiler"

Yikes!! You have a sick mind :-)

A friend of mine just sent me this song on a compilation tape she made me.
"The Boiler (1982) Vocals by Rhoda Dakar, Music by The Specials" is what
she writes, so it must be the same song. It's *very* disturbing. The female
character meets a man while she's shopping for clothing. He offers to pay for
them and she says yes, also agreeing to go out dancing with him that night.
When he urges her to go back to his place to spend the night, she declines.
He gets mad and puts a guilt trip on her because he bought her clothes and
paid her way into the dance club. She relents and starts to go with him.
He's impatient and angry though, so he pulls her into an alley and starts
beating and raping her. The song ends with her blood-curdling screams.

Throughout the song she refers to herself as "an old boiler" and you know
that this is a woman who has no self-esteem. She hates herself and is
greatful that this man is willing to pay attention to her. If she'd just
walked away from him after saying no to his advances, she would have been
OK, because he was walking away in the other direction. But she feels
guilty after his tirade and runs after *him* to say *she's* sorry!

It's very powerful, chilling and sobering. I played it on my show last week.

> (note how I left the out the rather obvious choice of KaTe's
> "The Wedding List".  We don't want people getting depressed at a
> wedding, now, do we?)

Uh....right...

Vickie
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us