Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wedding Bells in TSW

From: samsung!bsbbs!cynthia@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1991 14:17:57 -0700
Subject: Wedding Bells in TSW
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

cjs@fjtle.att.COM (Carol Jean Swanson) writes:

> Just a curious question.  My finacee and I are getting
> married in March and are considering used taped music
> from some of our favorite bands (and others) as the prelude
> music for our wedding.  Has anyone ever done this?  Did it
> go over well or did it cause lots of family problems?  So far,

A taped prelude is a great idea.  That reminds me of my
(first) wedding, a small but sincere affair of about 200
people.  We used Todd Rundgren's Healing, which is a 3 part
suite that takes up one side of an album.  Parts I and II were
played starting about 20 minutes before the ceremony, as the
guests wafted in.  Part III, which has a  lot of chimes and a
very joyous ambience to it, we used to go down the aisle.
Seeing as how my dad had passed away, I felt no other person
had the right to "give me away" (ugh - what a concept.)  So,
my hubby (er, that's _first_ hubby) and I walked down the
aisle together to the refrain of Todd, urging us on.  It was
quite lovely.  I didn't care for the wedding march, so we
didn't use it at all.  I had my brother manning the huge
Pioneer "jambox" we used to blast Todd throughout the church.

It did raise a couple of stodgy eyebrows, but hey, it's YOUR
wedding, hopefully your only one (hee hee) so do it the way
YOU want.  Never mind your in-laws or parents or anybody
else's ideas of how it should be.  Please YOURSELF.  Best
wishes to you!

By the way, I saw Bonnie Raitt in concert at the Tampa Sun
Dome last Thursday night.  It was great, she was in excellent
voice.  Nice rapport with the crowd, very good selection of
songs spanning her career.  About an hour and a half of
Bonnie.  Opening act was John Prine.  Very nice, he's never
really gotten the recognition he deserved, but the crowd was
most appreciative.  They ended up teaming up for an encore
later of "Angel From Montgomery", which I think he wrote, and
they had done together live. (It appears on Bonnie Raitt - The
Collection.)  Really enjoyed it, just thought I'd pass it
along.

----
cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP (Cynthia Rosas)
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)