Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: an observation

From: lishka@cernvax.cern.ch (christopher lishka)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1991 00:55:42 -0700
Subject: Re: an observation
To: rec-music-gaffa@cernvax.cern.ch
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1991Sep21.225408.25016@leland.Stanford.EDU> drk@leland.stanford.EDU (David Koehler) writes:

>Some facts:
>
>KaTe is moderately well known, wealthy, and has a recording contract.
>
>Happy Rhodes is not well known, not wealthy, and has no recording
>contract.
>
>Happy's _Warpaint_ CD is superbly recorded, engineered, and mixed.
>
>Kate's TSW CD displays recording, engineering and mixing that are,
>to be kind, *below par*!
>
>What is wrong here?

[Flame on! (Directed at flames to the above message)]

Ohhh, I am getting tired of reading postings flaming the above
message!  I think the original poster has a point: if an amateur
musician and no recording contract can produce a well recorded,
engineered, and mixed CD, why can't a professional musician with her
own studio do this?  This is a valid question, IMHO.

Yes, it is saying something negative about Ms. Bush.  From what I have
read here, the criticism seems well deserved and it would seem there
is a general opinion that "The Sensual World" was not recorded all
that well.  I could be missing something here, but why are there so
many replies to the above message bashing the original poster?

I do *not* read the above to say that Happy Rhodes is better than Kate
Bush.  In fact, there is no allusion in the above sentences that even
comes close to stating that Happy Rhodes music is good.  It could be
pure dreck (pure supposition here, I have never heard any Happy
Rhodes).  *All* the above message states is that the "_Warpaint_ CD is
superbly recorded, engineered, and mixed" and that "The Sensual World"
has "below par" recording quality.

Chill out!  As Monty Python has said: "Nobody expects the Spanish
Inquisition!"  (Actually, I should probably chill out right about now
too. ;-)

[Flame off -- it is getting too hot in here]

				Enough of this....
						.oO Chris Oo.

 Christopher Lishka                  Smiling as the shit comes down
 Wisconsin Group, CERN               You can tell a man from what he has to say
 lishka@cernvax.cern.ch                                        -- Crowded House