Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy Rhodes' _Warpaint_ at Rough Trade in SF

From: tabn3@isuvax.iastate.edu
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1991 01:13:11 -0700
Subject: Re: Happy Rhodes' _Warpaint_ at Rough Trade in SF
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@news.iastate.edu (USENET News System)

In article <1991Sep20.042126.17631@sactoh0.sac.ca.us>, trm@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Tara R. Marchand) writes:
>      "The moon is full,
>     The stars are bright,         Tara R. Marchand
>          And the sky              trm@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
>Is a poisonous garden tonight."    UUCP=..ames!pacbell!sactoh0

    A truly awesome song by Concrete Blonde!  I don't know what anyone else on
here thinks about her and the band, but Johnette Napolitano has one of the
coolest female singing voices in rock today!  She can achieve a kick-ass kind
of growl at one moment in a fast song and yet turn around and sing a ballad with
some of the most beautiful, sorrow-filled, tear-jerking vocals you'll ever
hear.  For reference, on _Bloodletting_ for example, listen to the above song
or _The Vampire Song_, and then listen to _Lullaby_ or _Tomorrow Wendy_.  She's
truly amazing!

--Dan M.