Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TSW

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1991 10:13:17 -0700
Subject: Re: TSW
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM

> I too found "The Sensual World" to be an album not quite like the
> others.  I like the lush orchestration, the Trio Bulgarka, etc.  What
> I found weak was...Kate's voice.  It just seemed rather flat, without
> the energy and spark of her earlier works.  I don't even like
> "Rocket's Tail", preferring "Never Be Mine".  I agree with others
> that the sound quality was abysmal, especially for Kate.  Not to say
> that it was a bad album, just one that should have been improved.

Isn't it funny how the same people who were having orgasms over TSW when it
first came out are grumbling about it now?  Maybe it's time for a new album! :)

To get serious, I think Kate's voice in TSW was at its best.  I personally
don't give a flying **** about sound quality, since all I have to listen to
things on is a Sanyo CD box that doesn't even have an equalizer.  But when it
comes to her voice, it blew me away the first time, and still does!

The first time I listened to TSW was a week after it came out.  I'd finally
gotten enough money saved up to buy the tape, and I listened to it with my
sister (who, it should be noted, has a 95% hearing loss).  At the end of
"Reaching Out" she asked me if Kate had had any opera training- since opera and
classical and Medieval music are all she listens to, this observation was quite
a complement.  If Kate can touch someone who's almost totally deaf with the
sheer power of her voice, that may not say anything to you, but it speaks
volumes to me.

I also found "Rocket's Tail" to be especially powerful.  But that's obviously
just me.

The true test to me was the fact that after hearing TSW, the '86 version of
"Wuthering Heights" didn't seem as amazing.  I know I'm in the HUGE minority on
this one, and 99% of you are going to go ballistic, but that version was, and
is, in my opinion, unbelievable. It's the one that got me into Kate, it's
sentimental, and I use it to prove to people how far she came in eight years,
when I play the two versions after one another.  However, when I want people to
hear how far she's some in general, I play '77 "WH" and then "RO".  They
usually go away convinced!!!

Oh, another random note:

	"`G' arrives, funny, had a feeling he was on his way..."

Guirdjieff makes sense, but I always thought "G" stood for Godot!

Meredith Tarr			"Oh yes I know I'm always falling,
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu	 Gazing at hazy goldfish in your swimming eyes"
Wesleyan University						-Kate Bush