Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mac sound files of Happy Rhodes

From: barger@ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1991 13:52:50 -0700
Subject: Mac sound files of Happy Rhodes
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Uhhhhhh... last JULY I offered to digitize some snippets of Warpaint for
Macintosh and email them around.  I got requests from:

tj@CS.UCLA.EDU (Tom Johnson),
Michael Graham <graham@ug.cs.dal.ca>,
jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko),
jessica <jessica@athos.rutgers.edu>,
Steve Fagg <S.L.Fagg@stl.stc.co.uk> (i bet this address is old?),
jerome@ee.fit.edu (Jerome Chan)

A number of eventualities have delayed my response until now, but now they
are ready to go.  They are huge-- three samples total a meg and a half.
They have been compressed with Compactor and then BinHexed and split into
files under 100k each.  The bits I've got are:

"Lay me down, encompass me with lilacs..."
"I think I need to find the key// The woman just stared while the cat lay
dying (huh!)// You cannot defy their will, but I'd rather die than kill"
(one lo-o-o-o-ong mutha)
"I want to go back to the trees where my art was born"

For those just joining us, here's the scoop:

Happy Rhodes is an unsigned new artist from Albany NY who is a Katefan and
whose music has a special appeal for many Katefans.  Last spring there was
a brouhaha about the amount of discussion Happy was stirring up on gaffa,
so that traffic was channelled off into a mailing list that remains quite
active (and, strangely, has easily as much traffic about other (non-Kate,
non-Happy) artists as gaffa itself).  You can send a request to subscribe
to:

ecto-request@cs.rutgers.edu

Ordering info for Happy's tapes: Aural Gratification, POB 8658 Academy
Station, Albany NY 12208. Tapes are $9.99 plus $2.00 s&h ($0.35 each add'l
tape or CD): Vol 1, Vol 2, Rearmament, Ecto, and Warpaint.  CD of Warpaint
is $13.99 and $2 shipping. UK: #8/tape, #11/CD, incl. s&h.)

Vickie Mapes, who 'discovered' Happy and introduced her to the rest of us,
has a FAQ she will be posting soon (if you can't wait, request it from V.
at katefans@chinet.chi.il.us).