Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Drukman v. Whitcomb, Round 3 1/2

From: Dances With Voles <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1991 11:36:56 -0700
Subject: Re: Drukman v. Whitcomb, Round 3 1/2
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

Yo! whitcomb@aurxc3.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) raps:
>Oh, no... production *is* important.  Even a good composition can be
>ruined by poor production.  I think we agree on this more than we disagree.
>Our main differences seem to be on the emphasis:  I place it on the
>composition, while you place it on the production.  A strong composition
>may be produced several different ways and still make a good record.

Ah, now we come to the heart of the matter!  I think you misinterpret me.  I
can appreciate a plainly arranged song, it's just that I can also appreciate
something which has very little substance and is all flash and wizardry.  To
me, neither is intrinsically better.  As I've said before, there's room for
everything in my world and I wouldn't want to subsist solely on one type of
music or another.

>I dunno... the first Jesus and Mary Chain album sounds like it was
>recorded in a shower stall!

The songs are pretty simplistic, but that chainsaw/blender/subway train
guitar on top of everything sure makes it texturally interesting.  "Never
Understand" could have been a beach boys tune, fer chrissake...

>I expect that Kate Bush will continue to experiment and branch out...
>I just hope her next batch of songs is stronger.

And in the end, we totally agree.  It took a while, but we got there!  Maybe
next time out she'll go for reggae.  "Kate Bush in the area!  Bring the
tune, DJ!  Come down selector!"

--
Jon Drukman (love pantry)                       uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.