Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What is it with this group?!?

From: dwelch@devnull.mpd.tandem.com (Dan Welch)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1991 09:13:48 -0700
Subject: Re: What is it with this group?!?
To: rec-music-gaffa@devnull.mpd.tandem.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1991Sep2.014152.19474@news.iastate.edu> tabn3@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>>Um, didn't most of _Peep Show_ have a pop beat to it?
>
>    You have to listen to both albums to be able to notice.  _Peepshow_
>definitely has a more haunting mood to it(with, maybe, the exception of
>"Peek-a-boo", but even that doesn't really have a pop beat).  The only
>songs on _Superstition_ that I thought even barely resembled most of the
>songs on _Peepshow_ was "Drifter" and "The Ghost In You". Believe me,
>there's absolutely nothing like "Rawhead and Bloodybones" on _Superstition_.
>:)  But don't get me wrong.  There's nothing wrong with this; it's just
>quite a style change compared to _Peepshow_.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I was a little disappointed, personally,
with _Superstition_ because I had such high hopes after _Peepshow_, which
IMHO is Siouxsie's best album and one of my very favorites (though the song
I really love, and which seems to get passed over a lot, is "Carousel".  Just
listen to her voice on those round vowels and Rs -- "All painted vile and lurid
hues, the snarling horse that waits for you" -- the feeling of evil lurking
behind the innocence of a carnival is shivering).

Although I must disagree with the above on one thing:  the song that most
reminds me of _Peepshow_ is "Silver Waterfalls", and I love the way that
"Kiss Them for Me" glistens like dew.

| Daniel Welch			      | "Kate Bush is the sort of performer   |
| Tandem Computers, Inc.	      | for whom the word 'superstar' is      |
| Austin, TX, USA		      | belittling."			      |
| dwelch@devnull.mpd.tandem.com	      |		Mike Davies, _Melody_Maker_   |