Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Goldmine, This Group, Erni, Etc.

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@eddie (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1991 03:56:00 -0700
Subject: Goldmine, This Group, Erni, Etc.
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Vickie here.

Re: Goldmine article:

>> It's also notable for the fact that Kate broke both of the spaghetti
>> straps on her top and completed the number with a huge smile and one
>> arm clamped firmly across her chest.

> [Actually, only one strap, the left one, broke. -- Ed]

Look closer Ed, _both_ straps did break.

>>     9)  _Moonraker_ -- Actually, she hemmed and hawed and backed out at
>> the last second, which resulted in a very rushed title track sung by
>> Shirley Bassey.  I think I'd rather have had Bassey from the start.

I thought Sheena Easton did the song (can't remember the name of it)

Jack Curtin writes:

> Big Questions:
>  Is Vickie, one of Vickie 'n' Chris, also one of Chris 'n' Vickie
>  that Chris is one of???

Yes, we're a Corporate Entity :-) When I post, I put my name first
and when he posts he puts his name first.

The Man With No Name says:

>   However, when I finally started going through some of the postings, I
> have to say I was quite disappointed.  When the description mentioned Kate
> Bush, I thought she just used as an example and not as the sole basis of
> the entire group! Why hasn't anyone been discussing any other much better
> artists?!? I think this talk Of Kate Bush has long since gone beyond
> obsession and is also long since overdone! Let's start talking about some
> artists!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

Ho ho! Can't wait to see the reactions to this one! Where _is_ IED anyway?
This *IS* a Kate Bush newsgroup. Occasionally other artists are discussed,
such discussion is welcome because almost all of us like to hear about
new and interesting artists and when projects by established artists are
released. When discussion of any one particular artist other than Kate
takes up a lot of space, like the recent huge volume re Happy Rhodes,
it's suggested that that discussion be taken elsewhere. In Happy's case
a mailing list was formed, satisfying everyone.

I won't take on your comments about "other much better" artists etc.
because it's obvious that you're not a Kate Bush fan and flames would
be silly. Basically, this group can be quite informative when it comes
to other artists, but if you don't like hearing about Kate then you should
use your "n" key a *LOT*.

>   For example, what's everyone's impressions of the new Siouxsie and the
> Banshees tape "Superstition"?  I thought it was very good, but it seemed
> to have a bit of a pop beat to it.

I like it.

Jorn writes:

> PS-- C&V expect to meet Erni this weekend, coz he's in town for the
> WorldCon sci-fi convention.  We'll be sure to ask for details about
> this Little Light blurb. (Jeff, are you there?  Does LL have an
> editorial bias that's not explicitly stated?)

Yes, we met and had a nice time. Erni held an official Special Interest
Group meeting about Kate. He even had a meeting room reserved for it.
There were about 10 people there and we discussed various topics. We
talked a lot about the tour and a lot about Love-Hounds. When the hour
was up and we had to give up the meeting room to another Special Interest
Group, a few of us continued the conversation out in a reception area,
taking over a corner w/ couches & a table. Erni is a fascinating guy.
I could have sat and talked to him for hours. His experience is the
complete opposite of Dale Sommerville's. Erni used to be a fundimentalist
Christian who began questioning his beliefs after the Jim Bakker scandal.
All during the (probably painful) questioning and re-evaluating process,
Kate's music was there for him, playing like a soundtrack to this very
important time in his life. He said that he believes, from hints that
he's picked up, that Little Light is run by Born-Again Christians. He
said that he asked someone (? I forget who he said) at Little Light and
they didn't confirm or deny it. Jeff?

Changing the subject, we had a fascinating discussion about Sam Phillips,
formerly Leslie Phillips, the Christian singer. Erni said that when she
changed her name and started writing Secular music, Christian radio
stations and book/record stores refused to carry her music. He's a very
big fan of Leslie/Sam and suspects that she went through the same sort
of re-evaluation process that he did, and he thinks that she might have
been introduced to Paganism, which helped her in her journey toward
Secularism (is that a word? Oh well) It's just a theory, but he's pretty
convinced that's what happened. Fascinating! I'm liking her more and more
all the time!

Speaking of WorldCon (sort of), I met 2 gaffa-lurkers and just missed
 Party"
where you had to have a net address to get in the door. Everybody "signed"
in by typing their name into a laptop. Scanning the list of names about
3am, I saw Ken Josenhans listed. Sorry I missed meeting you Ken. If anyone
reads rec.arts.sf-lovers, there should be a post about the party in there.

Woj, I'm sorry you couldn't make it to Chicago. Eric France was here and
even stayed at our house, but we hardly ever saw him. Nice guy! Saw lots
of Love-Hound Michael Kaufman, he was all over the place!

Jon Drukman and Jonathan Whitcomb have had me rolling on the floor with
their highly amusing posts. Where _is_ IED anyway? Oh yes, I think he's
in England now actually. Too bad. He's missing some great stuff. It's
probably better for his blood pressure that he's blissfully ignorant
of some of the things being said.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
chinet.chi.il.us

SOmething's weird with Chinet. It's been down all weekend, and now I see
that it's putting everything after an "at" sign on a different line.
Strange.