Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Sensual World: maturing or icing?

From: scott@psy.uwa.oz.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1991 00:26:18 -0700
Subject: Re: The Sensual World: maturing or icing?
To: <love-hounds@ims.alaska.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uniwa.uwa.oz.au (USENET News System)

jondr@sco.COM (Dances With Voles) writes:

[stuff deleted...]

>I think the sound quality is actually really bad.  For such an expensive and
>meticulously produced record, it sounds like crap.  Hiss out the wazoo.
>Digital tearing noises.  Flabby EQ.  "Rocket's Tail" is a song that SCREAMS
>to be played at the loudest possible volume but if you attempt to do that,
>you'll be sorely disappointed.  It sounds like it was recorded on a cassette.

[stuff deleted...]

>Jon Drukman (love pantry)                       uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com

That's what I thought too. Actually the thing that struck me most about the
recording was the poor S/N ratio (heaps of hiss, what was this recorded on?)
and the poor EQ.  The high frequencies are dull and the low frequencies seem
to be missing.  The dynamic range is also quite uninspiring.  Anyone care
to give me a run-down of KT's studio and what she uses.

Scott.

Scott Fisher [scott@wapsy.uwa.oz]  PH:(09) 380 3574.

Department of Psychology
University of Western Australia.