Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Siouxsie (was rmg bashing)

From: claris!wombat@Decwrl.dec.com (Scott Lindsey)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1991 22:43:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Siouxsie (was rmg bashing)
To: rec-music-gaffa@Decwrl.dec.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Number: 37204
Sender: claris!news@Decwrl.dec.com
Wombat: yes

In article <1991Sep2.014152.19474@news.iastate.edu>, tabn3@isuvax.iastate.EDU writes:

> In article <9109011929.AA02470@lewhoosh.umd.edu>, jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.EDU (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:
> >
> >>   For example, what's everyone's impressions of the new Siouxsie and the
> >>Banshees tape "Superstition"?  I thought it was very good, but it seemed
> >>to have a bit of a pop beat to it.
> >
> >Um, didn't most of _Peep Show_ have a pop beat to it?
>
>     You have to listen to both albums to be able to notice.  _Peepshow_
> definitely has a more haunting mood to it(with, maybe, the exception of
> "Peek-a-boo", but even that doesn't really have a pop beat).  The only
> songs on _Superstition_ that I thought even barely resembled most of the
> songs on _Peepshow_ was "Drifter" and "The Ghost In You". Believe me,
> there's absolutely nothing like "Rawhead and Bloodybones" on _Superstition_.
> :)  But don't get me wrong.  There's nothing wrong with this; it's just
> quite a style change compared to _Peepshow_.

I think it makes some sense stylistically, given the Creatures album that
came out in between.  That was definitely more experimental than either
_Superstition_ or _Peepshow_.  It might then seem that _Superstition_ is a
slight return towards mainstream.

But then, my favorite Banshees album is _Through the Looking Glass_.

--
Scott Lindsey             wombat@apple.com               Who knows
Claris Corporation   or   ames!claris!wombat             Why care