Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KaTe the fag hag? Who CARES???

From: ken@startek.com (Ken Descoteaux)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1991 16:14:41 -0700
Subject: Re: KaTe the fag hag? Who CARES???
To: <love-hounds@ims.alaska.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <KUDLA.91Aug26160433@close.cs.columbia.edu> kudla@cs.columbia.EDU (Robert Kudla) writes:
>Just curious: Why in the world are people so concerned whether KaTe
>has written some gay-male-positive lyrics when she herself is female?
>It's not just the heterosexual males who would Just Die if she got
>married, either; I've seen some women posting in this thread.
>
>Kate is an artist.  Kate probably knows *lots* and *lots* of gay men
>and lesbians, and maybe some of them are close friends with her.  Kate
>has written about Houdini, murder, incest, cloudbusting, dreams,
>(heterosexual) sexual relations, pregnancy, women struggling over
>various obstacles, surreal experiences, and a jillion other topics.  I
>think it's safe to assume she hasn't personally experienced some of
>these things, but has experienced others.  Why assume that writing
>about gay men means Something's Wrong?

Now I haven't been following this thread all that closely, but I dont'
recall anyone having said that there was something wrong with KaTe
writing a song that dealt with gay males! If my memory doesn't betray
me, the thread began when someone caught a comment about "Kashka..."
being about a pair of men and was thereupon surprised. Not offended,
just surprised.  I've thought it was about two men for as long as I
remember and possibly from the first time I ever heard the song since
I was reading LHs before I got the album.

As you point out, she writes about anything and everything, so it
would seem that a fan should only be surprised if she *hadn't* written
a song like Kashka & Wow (speculation or fact, you be the judge
*grin*)

-ken
 ken@startek.com

(PS: If I have 5 Happy Rhodes albums, do I have them all? the results
of KaTemas at Greg's I'm afraid....)