Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

'Nother famous Katefan

From: Al Crawford <Al_Crawford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1991 07:10:55 -0700
Subject: 'Nother famous Katefan
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

As the denizens of this newsgroup/mailing list seem to take quite unnatural
pleasure in discovering just which musicians are fans of Kate I thought I'd
drop this little snippet in.

During this year's Edinburgh Festival Roddy Frame (of Aztec Camera) and
Edwyn Collins (of Orange Juice and, erm, Edwyn Collins) put on a one-off
(*) show together performing a variety of acoustic stuff. This was seen
musically as a Big Thing (both are big names in Scottish rock) and so my
local radio station decided to invite them to host their own one hour show,
playing their favourite records of all time.

It was rather entertaining (they make a good comedy double act) and, of
course, they played a track by Kate rather high in their top 10. OK, I
ADMIT IT, I CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH TRACK IT WAS! SO WHIP ME WITH BIRCH TWIGS!
Might have been "Running Up That Hill" might have been "Hounds Of Love".
It's not that I don't know the difference (I'm not as blown away by Kate as
you folk but I'm not *totally* ignorant), it's just that I've heard both on
the radio this week and got Jon's remixes the week before and can't
remember what I heard where.

So there you have it - add Frame and Collins to the List Of Musicians Who
Like Kate.

(*) although they did reckon it was something they might like to try again
in future - fans of either/both should keep an eye open.

--
		   Al Crawford - Al_Crawford@edinburgh.ac.uk
	 "Such a digital lifetime, it's been by numbers all the while"