Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Lynch Mob + Chris Twits Me!

From: jessica@athos.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1991 21:46:30 -0700
Subject: Re: The Lynch Mob + Chris Twits Me!
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I hate to make a post about a post being nit-picky..
but some times I can't help it.

Chris wrote:
> All Love-Hounds can be said to have a personal relationship
> with Kate at least as valid as those who claim to have a "personal
> relationship" with the Lord. I've met Kate in person, shaken her hand
> and have been close enough to smell her perfume (nice) which is a _little_
> more than most Christians claim. ;-)

And someone (sorry the header is off the screen and i can't get it
back without too much bother) else wrote in response:
> Oh, for God's sake!  (And I don't mean Kate, either!)  Kate Bush is an
> excellent musician, and she's no slacker as a lyricist -- in fact, I rather
> prefer her literary talents.  But a "personal relationship"?  Nonsense.
> So you've met her once.  I extend my congratulations to you.  In my book,
> meeting someone once makes them an acquaintance, not a friend.  Adulation
> of this order is just another strain of that old virus, infatuation.

Ummm... I can understand that your argument against the rest of the
posts you replied to might have gotten you a little carried away.. so
I ask you to please relax, calm down, and re-read what Chris wrote.

All he's doing is making a comment on the use of the term "personal
relationship" which to me makes a point exactly the opposite of what
you seem to thnik it makes! Of course, chris please do feel free to
tell us which on eis interpreting closer to how you meant it. (I tend
to think of "personal relationship with Christ" of Christians to be a
bit silly.. so i am definitely biased by that). But I got the
impression that Chris feels it's a tad silly too, and all he was
saying is that while we might think it's a bit silly a LOT of people
take it most deadly seriously, and they certainly cannot even claim to
have even become an "aquaintance" of Christ by meeting him in person
even once.

Whatever - it seemed to me more a play on the use of the term than a
support for it being how he (chris) feels about his "relationship"
with Kate.

     				jessica
--
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||