Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kashka - what is a "gay" song?

From: mandorallen@st1.vuw.ac.nz
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1991 14:25:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Kashka - what is a "gay" song?
To: <love-hounds@ims.alaska.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@rata.vuw.ac.nz (USENET News System)

In article <KTISGOD>, jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.EDU (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:

> [...uninteresting stuff about Kashka deleted...]
> Why is it so hard to comprehend that this is a valid (and, IMNSO opinion,
> the only possible correct) reading of the lyrics?  It isn't as if KaTe
> hasn't done other "gay" songs...don't forget "Moving" (for Lindsay Kemp)
> and "Eddie the Queen" (from the Cathy Demos).

Yipes! "Moving", a "gay" song? Tell us more. Your theory seems to be: "L. Kemp
is gay [which I, personally, never heard before], KaTe wrote it for him there-
fore it's a gay song". What is a "gay song"? Is it a song about gay people?
Is it a song expressing pro-gay sentiments? If the former, who cares? If the
latter, "Moving" doesn't seem very much so to me. I mean "Touch me, hold me,
how my open arms ache"? I fail to see what's so specifically gay about that.
Explain to us your reasoning, but carefully - "Moving" was the first Katesong
I ever heard, and if I don't like what you say about it I may just cleave your
gizzard in twain.
--
This was the Bard, Anthony Hobbs... mandorallen@st1.vuw.ac.nz, and proud of it.
"I've walked upon stranger roads than this one