Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Cloudbusting news

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1991 22:09:22 -0800
Subject: Cloudbusting news
To: crash!ims.alaska.edu!Love-Hounds@nosc.mil

CLOUDBUSTING NEWS.

Aug '91.

        I am still typing in interviews and preparing to work on Edition 2.  I
thought I would ask everybody who has Edition 1 for some feedback on a number
of questions.  I should also mention that there is, and in fact may already
be, a TEX (not text, TEX) version available on the Love-Hounds archives, if
the archives are still there!
        I am going to take the "Influence's and Favorite Artist" section and
make seperate sections under the names of each artist.  That has made me
consider whether Part III - Subjects, might be better broke up into seperate
Parts.  I am considering the following:

Part III - People - Names of people Kate knows and artists/bands that she
likes.
Part IV - Art - Subjects related to Kate's art - inspiration, songwriting,
ect.  Also, possibly, Kate's opinions on different types of art - Painting,
Books, etc.
Part V - Life Aspects - things like ANGER, ENGLAND, RELIGION, etc.

        Note that, expect for the above mentioned breaking up of the
"influences and Favorite Artist" section, I am not planning on making any more
subject sections, just organanizing them differently.  The advantage of having
them in three Parts is that simular subjects would go together.  The
disadvantage is that it might make it slighly harder to find an individual
entry and also, I might have to make up more photos for the eventual disk
versions.
        I am going to make the Wordperfect master files available on the next
Edition for those who prefer that.  Rather than having the questions asked of
Kate CAPITALIZED, as they are in the text version, I am going to use either
Wordperfect's italics, underlines, and bold features.  Hopefully these will be
also be used in some of the computer versions, using ANSI text.  I am thinking
of something like this:

Italics - Only questions asked of Kate.
Bold - Names of Kate's songs and albums.
Underline - Emphised text, like parts stressed in speaking.  Also, possibly,
names of other artists and albums.

The problem is that whatever I use for the questions, can only be used for the
questions.  Another way might be:

Italics - Only Questions asked of Kate.
Bold - Name of Kate's songs and albums AND names of other artists and their
albums.
Underline - Only emphised text.

 I think the above might be best, but welcome any comments.
        If you've read through the entries for the individual songs, you no
doubt noticed that some of the entries are very repetive.  This is because I
was fjound it difficult to cut many of the things Kate said.  For instance,
many times Kate will say the same thing, but in a different way that might be
interesting.  Also, with to much editing there is the danger of taking things
out of context.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
        Another question is whether or not I should include some of the stuff
from the Kate Bush Complete/Garden chronology in the Story section.  I didn't
do that in the first Edition cause I felt the flow went pretty well with just
Kate's quotes.
        I am also considering changing the name of Cloudbusting, various names
included:

Cloudbusting - Advantage: signifies "busting through the clouds" of
mis-understanding Kate.  And I have a cool graphic made for it.
Disadvantage: Possible confusion with the song.

Leaving Her Tracks - Advantage: Similar to "Leaving My Tracks" - Name of
Kate's unfinish book on herself and beliefs.  Disadvantage: possible confusion
with Kate's book, possible intrusion on something Kate was planning, no cool
graphic picture.

Deeper Understanding - Advantage: Signifies coming to deeper understanding of
Kate and music, ties in with the projects computer origin.  Disavantages:
Confusion with song, no cool graphic picture.

        I'm partial to leaving the name as it is, but suggestions are welcome.

        Anyway, thanks to those who have fed back!

Ron Hill

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com