Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: I command this message to post!

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1991 05:47:03 -0800
Subject: Re: I command this message to post!
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Welcome back, Love-Hounds!

>From article <9108092141.AA10184@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu>, by barger@ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger):
>
> 2) Has AAD vs AAA been debated to death on r.m.g?  Has Kate spoken about
> this? (A quick search for the word 'digital' turns up nothing in Cbusting
> part 3.)

Not to death, but certainly at length.

According to the '83 "Hi Fi for Pleasure" interview, Kate chose
digital mixing for _The Dreaming_ because she felt that the slight
crystallised sound that it gave was more appropriate for the album.
She disliked the amount of trouble that digital mixing involved,
though, and said that she probably wouldn't use digital again any
time soon.   It's worth noting that this was fairly early in the
evolution of digital recording.

In the '89 "International Musician" Kate discusses her studio setup
and says that she's "a sucker for analog sounds." She adds that in
spite of the noise she still prefers working with analog.  Ironically,
by then the industry had changed enough that people who were brought
in to work on the album were having problems working with the analog
equipment.

> It got me wondering whether KT would not recommend vinyl over CD since she
> uses analog for recording and editing.  (I have weird superstitious
> suspicions about ESP and digital technology...)

You really have to be an analog purist to continue suffering with all
the disadvantages of vinyl to gain the advantage of analog sound.  I
can't imagine that Kate would recommend the low quality vinyl that you
get with the boxed set (which really should be her last vinyl release).

I notice that there are a lot of classical music recordings on Laser
Disc. I wonder how much of that is because analog purists like having
the high quality analog sound (available on LD in addition to digital)
along with the advantages of laser media.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com